It is totally normal. The business solution as been presented with many names these past years, such as:
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance & Operation, Enterprise Edition (July 2017)
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Operation (October 2016)
- The new Dynamics AX (February 2016)
- Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012, R2, R3
- Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009
- Microsoft Dynamics AX v2.5, v3, v4 et V5
Microsoft Dynamics AX nowadays:
Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance & Operation, Enterprise Edition is a ERP system (Enterprise resource planning). That product is link with the group of product Microsoft Dynamics 365.
The solution contains more than 26 different modules allowing you to manage your entire business. Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance & Operation, Enterprise Edition supports 32 languages including French, English, Spanish, Japanese and many more. Also, it works with multi-currency, multi-company mode and multi warehouses according to your needs. From General Ledger to Production Tracking, the solution gives you the opportunity to manage procurement, sales and marketing, retail, planning (MRP) etc.
From your General Ledger accounts, you can drill down to the details of the inventory, production or sale transaction.
The solution grows according to your needs. You can use only part of the system, one module or group of modules. One thing is certain, any good manager knows that if you start from the General Ledger and that your system allows you to go to the detail of the transaction without making 3 phone calls to have the right information, it is much more productive.
A bit of history:
Every name change represents additional features and better integrations.
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance & Operation, Enterprise Edition: The solution lets you run either in Cloud mode or On-Premise (run on your own owned servers instead of those of Microsoft).
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Operation: The solution was only working in Cloud mode on Microsoft servers. It is a part of the Microsoft Dynamics 365 product group. This solution contains 26 ERP modules that allows you to manage your entire business.
- The new Dynamics AX: Microsoft has transferred the SQL Server functionality to SQL Azure. The client functionality has moved to WEB mode. Integration with Excel has increased even more dramatically, as much as the integration with Outlook, Word, Power BI. The name used before the launch of The new Dynamics AX version was more of a product code name that people used to find each other. The initial documentation of Cloud functions was found under this name.
- Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3: This version is in client-server mode using SQL as database. The solution contains more than 26 modules, in addition to modules that can use mobile devices for warehouse management.
- Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2: This version is in client-server mode. It contains more than 20 modules.
- Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012: Changing the client mode to add features related to Excel and Word has increase the ease of integration and increase the productivity of users already familiar with Excel. The licensing payment method has been changed from this version. All modules were available but the business was able to open the one they need and open module when they were ready.
- Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009: This version is in client-server mode. It contains more than 20 modules. The company can decide which modules to install.
- Microsoft Dynamics AX V5: This is the Dynamics AX 2009 version.
- AX v4: Many additions and improvements of existing modules.
- AX v3: Many improvements of existing modules.
- AX v2.5: Many improvements of existing modules.
- Axapta: Name from the first version.
What is important to remember is that Microsoft Dynamics AX has always continue innovating. Here are some modules that are part of Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 and also found in Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance & Operation, Enterprise Edition:
- General ledger
- Accounts Receivable
- Accounts payable
- Fixed assets
- Human resources
- Procurement and sourcing
- Sales and marketing
- Product information management
- Inventory management (without mobile device)
- Warehouse management (with mobile devices such as scanner)
- Transportation management
- Retail, Call center
- Master planning (MRP)
- Production control
- Service management
- Project management and accounting
- Organization administration
- System administration
Many modules have workflow features that integrates with the functions of the users of the company.
Hoping to have clarify some points.
For more information contact us at 1 514-871-0470 and request a Microsoft Dynamics 365 representative for Finance & Operation, Enterprise Edition.